Sunday 29 July 2007

Wakey wakey

The sun was pale as we made our way to SS's birthday party on an island in the Thames. He had a great turnout and was in a jolly mood. A fair number of journalists and writers were gathered there, and everyone was separated by just one degree. It's a small, incestuous world, London hackdom.

As we stood outside, watching the Thames rush by at an alarming speed, raindrops began to spatter on the tall, leafy trees above, which provided adequate shelter for a little while. Eventually, we went inside to chat and eat nibbles. Some people played pool, others drank and became progressively red-eyed while conversation flowed (regardless of alcohol intake). A large fluffy cat, the colour of fudge and chocolate (white, dark and milk), loitered, waiting for strokes and scraps.

With each passing hour, the rain increased in intensity, calling fat slugs and various island creatures out. I didn't look at the ground too closely as my feet hit the sodden pathway. It was very dark but occasional lights threw the shapes of night-time creatures into shiny silhouettes.

By the time I got home, my 'earliest time to go to bed' had been and gone, and I still faced getting up at 7am today no matter what. And I just couldn't nod off. I stuck my earplugs in but the one in my left ear was extremely painful so I had to ease it out, which meant I could hear GFG walking around downstairs and S doing his business around the flat.

Tired? God, yes. But I am cheered that this week is to be sunny. I don't know why but the rays always imbue me with a certain energy that is otherwise elusive. I am seeing reiki lady today. I hope I don't fall asleep. It is not allowed.

3 comments:

  1. Hello MD,

    We dodged the rain in Derbyshire this weekend - which makes a change! I didn't go to any parties, but I did make this. Thought you might like it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuZJ2nx6VXU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey M&G,
    Sorry - have been offline for a bit so haven't seen this until now! Will check out the YouTube link when back from the coalface. Glad you dodged the rain! No mean feat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched it – excellent! You are quite mad (but that's good, you are in good company).

    ReplyDelete