Friday 6 July 2007

Anger: an insight

I have come to the conclusion that anger has been the prevailing emotion in my life of late. Like a sponge that has soaked up Bad Things until it cannot take in any more, stuff seeps out and droplets pool around it. Around me. Things that come close are touched by it. The closer people get, the more the anger droplets wet them. Sometimes they have the strength to flick them off, sometimes they can't, or don't. They get wet and are affected, too.

A friend recently read a batch of my June posts after I (angrily) said he could see what I was up to by perusing the pages here, if he was bothered. I was angry that he hadn't been in touch for a while. He was 'staggered' by the amount of ongoing anger I expressed, which, sadly, is mainly due to the failures of medical professionals with whom I have come into contact (re insomnia) and the [insert collective term for egotistical idiots] bosses I've contended with of late. Luckily, my friend can shake off the droplets and see past my fury.

I am angry a lot of the time. My fuse is short. It is probably all due to that boring old bastard, underlying tiredness. I then become a sponge that's already saturated, with a bucket of cold water sloshed over me from time to time just to make sure.

However much I understand why I feel this way, I am aware that insight alone will only help me so much. Primarily, I need to sleep well, which I do after kung fu (which in itself is wonderful catharsis and acts as a kind hand squeezing out the sponge).

Secondarily, I need to learn to switch off more, and to do so my way. Not what the doctor says, or what people advise. But the way I need to. This is something I have not fathomed but I will work on it. Maybe it is kung fu. Certainly the endorphins help and I come home full of laughter. And there is a mind/body/spirit element to the art that is tantalising.

So, occasionally, I am a dry sponge, but the time it takes for exhaustion – whatever – to soak and drown me can come all too quickly. My task is to find something that will shelter me during such moments.

6 comments:

  1. I hope some day you can figure out the magic formula that will help you. I'm amazed by your determination and strength to get through each day. I know it sounds cheesy, but I'll keep you in my prayers that you can be released from this burden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, thank you. That's so lovely. You are an absolute sweetheart.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mell D, It is hard not to be angry when you are sleep-deprived - everything suffers. I have obviously not had it to the extent you have, but it is a common symptom of M.E (they reckon because of hypothalamus disturbance) and I have had many nights of almost zero sleep even when in an absolute state of exhaustion. You really feel like you are going crazy. I can't imagine what it is like to be chronically without sleep and having to get up and face a normal working day. I really hope the kung fu continues to help even if you feel let down by the current therapist. I saw a poster in Glasgow last weekend advertising insomnia research, asking for volunteers, I thought of you but stupidly didn't write the website down. Perhaps you know of this project already?

    Take good care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey NMJ, I'm sorry to hear that you suffer with this kind of tiredness as well as the other symptoms of M.E. – I knew insomnia was part of M.E. but didn't realise to what extent. It does feel as though you are going crazy; it's horrible, horrible, horrible.

    I think kung fu will help – it's the only sure-fire thing that seems to give me the kind of sleep where you feel you cannot move in the morning as you are so 'under'. I'm exercising more than ever and feel physically in better shape, so that's something very positive out of all this.

    I hadn't heard of that project, but if you happen upon it again, please let me know.

    Take care, too, my friend
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am mad at myself for not writing that damn website down for you! It was displayed on the Glasgow Underground - I have googled in vain, but can't find anything recent, only older Glasgow research, I have a feeling though this was more of a UK-wide thing...when I am next in Glasgow, I will look again!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, NMJ, no stress. I'd be interested if you happen upon it, though.


    x

    ReplyDelete