Wednesday 4 July 2007

Fur flying

Rabbits are highly territorial animals. This trait is causing serious problems chez Mellifluous Dark, as since Albert was reunited with M, who has lived with us for nearly two years from kittenhood, they have fallen out badly.

Albert and M used to cuddle up and groom one another. Now, since Albert was hospitalised for her illness, they've attacked each other, and have to be separated. M comes off worse as she has beautiful, velvety short hair, and her delicate skin is easier for teeth to grab. She is nursing several horrible cuts and bites and I feel awful about it. They look sore and raw. Albert, with her thick fur, came off comparatively well. I only felt a few bites through her longer butterscotch coat.

This morning, I took the bunnies to Lorna, who runs a local rescue centre, in the hope that she could re-bond them (she worked magic when the animals first met and didn't get on, what with Albert not being male as we had thought, but a competitive female). As she did previously, Lorna set them up an area of neutral territory. I left her wielding her trusty broom (to separate them if they fought) and went to work.

Two hours later, I had a phone call. Lorna had "had to abandon". When I went to get them at lunchtime, she looked horrified at what had happened under her roof and apologised. I can guarantee that she hoovered before I arrived, to hide the evidence of silky black and longer honey fur... We'll probably give the bonding another try once M is healed. I bathed M's cuts in salt water and applied tea tree cream. We can't keep doing this, though, as it's very stressful for both poor creatures (as well as for the humans watching). Hmm.

As I write, they are launching at one another – Albert is in a large cage, for both their safety – like dogs.

2 comments:

  1. Part of the problem might be sent. When Albert was at the vet the scent of that place and the other animals would have rubbed off on Albert (think of that hospital smell). So now that Albert is home, he smells different and M is probably defending territory from what he perceives to be a stranger. I had the same problem with my cats after one came home from a lengthy hospital stay. Eventually Albert will get his smell back and M will recognize him again. But until that happens best to keep them seperate and supervise any 'reunions'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, Chris. It's partly down to scent and partly territory. I hope to goodness they revert to how they were. Rabbits can be notoriously tricky to bond – something I would never have imagined prior to owning them.

    ReplyDelete