Sunday 8 July 2007

Natural beauty

The sun shone in London yesterday, making the Hampton Court Flower Show far more spectacular than it would have been under mizzle or gloomy grey skies. Stating the obvious, maybe, but without rays of sun, the huge lake in the grounds of Hampton Court, the water features and the flowers may not have reflected and glinted and winked with such an inviting eye.

The funny thing about the 'show' is that it's really a sale. A sale of flowers, greenery, garden furniture, outdoor ideas and all sorts of artsy-craftsy things that appeal to those who love their homes and relish (and have time f
or) their gardens.

The majority of people there were 40-plus (or more likely, 50-plus) and they had among them, quite a bit of disposable income. They'd need to. You pay £25 a ticket to enter the event, for goodness sake. And, if you know no better, the car park would set you back £9. Staggering exploitation, car park-wise. That's £34 before you even see a petal or leaf.


I mean, look at this garden – it's a tiny section of the whole. You'd need a huge house and large space to accommodate this and make it look good. Some of the displays were stunning, though, and there was a lovely, tiny wooden summerhouse, painted pale pink, that I instantly fell in love with. It had a pointed roof and a comfortable seat; its windows were shuttered, I think. It cost £8,000-ish, but it was dreamy. And in my dreams is where it must remain.

There were many plants on sale, many of which we admired, but none of which we bought. (I succumbed to an exquisite coat, though: er, Happy Birthday to m
e – well it is later this month)... We had lunch outside, followed by a cream tea (again, outside) and then sat on the banks of the lake as a brood of cygnets and their mother glided by. I was happy to be wearing one of my New Summer Skirts, finally! And my legs caught a bit more colour. Hurrah.


It was a lovely day – peaceful. Even the security men walking around with their black labradors were singing "Lazy Sunday Afternoon" as they patrolled.

• • •

The day, with its blend of fresh air and walking, was a recipe for a good night's sleep. But no, not in my case. I did some kung fu when we got home but I was still quite sleepless. Plus ça change.

2 comments:

  1. I want that pale pink summer house!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was dreamy, so beautiful. I wish I was there right now, this second. Such an oasis of calm.
    x

    ReplyDelete