Wednesday 6 June 2007

Blast from my past

Today, S and I were on the train when we heard a man – very well spoken with honed tones – telling someone on his phone that there was an update for 'the bulletin'. S said: "He's just got a scoop" (S is also a journalist and observed this quickly; I was in sleepyhead land). So, we nosily listened in and then I saw the man's face: a face I'd sat opposite 15 years ago when we were rookie reporters.

Now, this man presents the TV news regularly and all traces of the boy/rookie have gone – and in a good way. He was always saying he wanted to get into TV and he bloody did it. The thing about him is that he is devoid of arrogance but has plenty of ambition. A fabulous combination – unusual in the meeja, frankly. So, it was a happy moment to re-acquaint with an old friend. I now have the impetus to arrange some kind of meeting of our old newsroom. It will, undoubtedly, be in a pub. Just like old times.

Later in the day, I saw a smartly-dressed man walking purposefully along Waterloo Bridge. Backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment