Thursday 7 June 2007

Again... into the gutter

So, hands up if you aren't going to watch BB tonight and watch Emily call Charley a 'nigger'?

Channel 4, it appears, has had therapy and realised that one must take a stance on such things. I don't think Emily really meant it, meant it. But come on, how thick do you have to be to say that stupid word? For stupidity alone, she needed to be ousted. Ten minutes to go before That Music...

Post-BB update: I think they got rid of Emily as damage limitation to a) C4 and b) Emily. A 3am chucking out! If that 'n-word' debate had gone on tomorrow, the Shilpa Shetty saga would have looked like Play School. And I think C4 would have had to pull the show.

Today, I have been so tired that I cried on the train (little dribbles of tears; I clamped my eyes shut but my right eye leaked). I cried when my current boss, who is also my friend, sent me an email saying I looked sad and was I OK? (I let my hair fall in front of my face; no one saw, I don't think)...

I felt so wretched that I looked at the cast iron Anthony Gormley statues dotted around the South Bank – naked metal men standing at the edges of buildings and on Waterloo Bridge – and wondered how they felt, what they saw. How nuts is that?

I wondered whether they were contem
plating their lives and whether they wanted to end it all, then and there. I was so melancholy that I played Portishead's Dummy on my red toy, an appropriate soundtrack for sure. Sour Times, indeed.