Tuesday 5 February 2008

Orbs

I have a new camera. It's small, has an amazing number of megapixels squeezed into its capacity, and is just brilliant. It didn't cost too much, either.

At lunchtime, I went to visit my friend, SS, who has his late mum's dog staying with him while the new owner is on holiday. I'm not a dog person but this animal was very endearing and ended up sitting next to me with her head on my lap, asleep.

I happened to have my camera in my bag, not really sure why. So I took a photo of SS and the dog. He took a couple of me and the animal as she sat by me, and that was that.

In the evening, I sorted out the software necessary so that I could upload photos. Soon, there were five thumbnail-sized pictures on my screen. My heart sank as I opened the first one – the picture was fine but for what looked like two globes of light. I cursed the camera and opened the rest of the pictures but the globes were nowhere to be seen. I stared and stared at these perfectly round, almost spherical looking anomalies (one of which the dog was looki
ng at) and then stopped in my tracks as I recalled there were such things as orbs that appeared in pictures at times.

Now, I don't know what orbs are meant to look like so I did what every sensible person does and turned to Google. The images were exactly like the circles of light in my photo. A minority of websites said that they were caused by light reflections but to me, these looked too perfect to be reflections.
And, in any case, one of the orbs – or shapes – was over matt carpet and the camera wasn't facing the window or any obvious light source/shiny surfaces. Some websites said they are manifestations of spirit energy.

I told SS and emailed him the pictures (only one of whic
h contained these floating shapes). He said it made him feel weird, and told me that he had been to put flowers on his mum's grave the day before, and he had told her to 'visit' him anytime.

It's easy to be cynical. Obviously. But no one knows what these shapes are. There isn't a fault on the camera and no dust on the lens. So, you tell me... (I'd upload a pic but it comes out sideways! Good old Blogger...)

Update:
in response to Sanddancer's request... (Cropped to preserve SS's anonymity, which means you can only see one 'orb'.)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's spooky. But really you can't post this and then not show us the photo. I don't mind if it is sideways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very odd. I had to crop it to preserve my friend's identity, so only one orb is showing (sounds a bit rude!!).

    Not sure if this will translate well to Blogger, but here goes...

    ReplyDelete