Thursday 14 February 2008

Agh, just PC off, Shami!

We are not living in an ideal world, not that any of us need telling. Some young people – whether it be due to the breakdown of family life, the poor quality of family life/parenting or apathy (brought on by a lack of imagination, need or gumption) can be utter arses.

There have been plenty of stories in the news in the past 12 months, detailing appalling behaviour by some young people. Ask Gary Newlove's widow, who wants the death penalty restored following the murder of her husband. Ask dead Rhys Jones's dad. Have a word with Ernest Norton's wife, who has to live her life as a widow now. Add in teenage gun and knife crime. And on and on and on...

In an attempt to deal with groups of feral youths, someone created a device that emits a high pitch that causes discomfort to those under 25. The so-called Mosquito is used in areas where young people gather in an anti-social manner. It is used as a last-resort. It's not plugged in at Mothercare or Marks and Spencer at two in the afternoon, for goodness sake.

Shami Chakrabarti of Liberty, however, has come out bleating about the rights of young people, saying that the device 'had no place in a country that values its children'. Oh, do shut up. Valuing children means giving them boundaries. Tough.


No one writing about such matters should have to say I'm not talking about all young people, just a minority. It is a no-brainer. However, the minority are a majority in pockets of some cities. And (as I have said previously), I'm sick of people defending anti-social and criminal activity among the young by going on about how a hard life breeds 'disaffected' young people. Poor loves.

The trouble is, their lives are probably not hard enough. They do X and they get a caution (if that). They know the voice of the 'our rights' brigade will come down on their side. They are not slum dwellers; there are ways out. If they could be bothered. This is the UK, not a war-torn land or a slum-dominated city (where I'd wager young people behave with more dignity). People in England do not have nothing. How insulting to those who scrabble in the dust for food, who wear nothing on their feet, or queue for bits of broken biscuits for dinner (I've seen it).
Lack of rights? My arse. Disaffected? Hell, I think I am fast becoming disaffected by the stinkingly pathetic attitude of some of this country's decision makers...

5 comments:

  1. You make some really interesting observations, MD. If I consider what some kids live with here - abject poverty, rampant child abuse, crime, disempowerment, fractured societies, slums and ghettoes - I can understand why we have the problems we have - but as you say, the UK is a very different kettle of fish. I think you're absolutely right in saying it's a complete lack of boundaries and discipline. These are not kids living in the kind of world that SA kids live in, they have opportunities and a well structured society where they are not disempowered. Perhaps it's a case of too much of a good thing.

    I mentioned to a friend that we're planning on moving to the UK - she originally comes from Yorkshire and her response was, "why on earth the UK, it's full of bloody hooligans".
    Ah well, one hopes there are less hooligans there than here.

    Seems values are crumbling all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you entirely. Although it is criticised, education is available to all - it is the choice of these young people if they decide to behave a certain way and people have to take responsibility for their own actions at some point instead of making excuses.

    In my hometown a few years ago they did what was the opposite - they played classical music in the stations which was supposed to either disperse uncultured youth or calm them down - I'm not sure if it worked and I keep thinking abut A Clockwork Orange where violent acts were committed to classical music.

    I'm interested in hear this noise. I was reading somewhere that some people older than 25 can hear it and I was wondering (being in my early 30s) if I would be immune. The noise can't possibly be worth than the bad music kids play through their mobiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mell,

    Happy Valentines day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanilla, I was thinking of SA and the things that go on there while I wrote that pots. I've seen similar in certain parts of S America, too. I do think it is a case of too much of a good thing. If these 'hard done by' kids were to spend a week in real ghettoes, it would do them a world of good. A year, better still. They really don't know they are born.

    Obviously there are kids over here who have suffered terribly – I know some personally – but they are not feral idiots. Some have grown into wonderful adults while, according to people like Shami Chakrabarti, they would have plenty of reason to act out as disaffected individuals.

    And how insulting it is to assume that those who have less materially also lack in terms of drive, spirit and intelligence.

    This country is changing. I sometimes wonder what it will take – which common enemy – to bring people together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sanddancer, I've heard that they are planning to play classical music in stations in the southeast. Apparently, it works, so bring it on.

    And that thought crossed my mind – the Mosquito can't surely be much worse than pumping 100db via an iPod into earholes...

    I totally agree – people do need to take responsibility. That's exactly what is lacking: it's always someone else's fault, which strikes me as deeply gutless and sad. I can't bear the 'poor me' brigade, and I abhor the 'poor them' brigade even more.

    ReplyDelete