Sunday 10 February 2008

Dreamworks

On Friday, at 6pm, I had a phone call from a woman who I may – if I choose – continue to work with on a magazine project. It's a new thing and sounded so promising when I had the initial meeting a few weeks ago.

I turned down work so I could fit this project in, and booked time in my schedule. But the organisation concerned has not fulfilled its side of the bargain. The woman is 'very busy' and has not furnished us with the details we (I) need to start work on the thing. Well, we are all 'very busy'.

I didn't like the way she snapped at me down the phone just as I was about to start my weekend. It has been preying on my mind. I have a miniscule budget with which to work – and they want me to complete the task in record time. The deadline is ever-closer, with things slipping in the meantime as they fail to deliver their side of the bargain.

When I told her, nicely, that as her department had not provided the information promised several weeks ago that we'd need to push the deadline back, she was horrible.

I don't like backing out of work. But this has been in limbo since it started. The woman in charge is very unhelpful and I have been thinking about work – and dreaming about it, which I hate – and am wondering whether to back out now, while I can.

This project hasn't started properly yet and it's stressing me considerably and affecting my sleep. OK, I have had some thorny projects to work on – and God knows I like a challenge – but this has got my alarm bells ringing like a Big Ben on repeat.

2 comments:

  1. No job on earth is worth worrying about, let alone losing sleep over.
    This woman sounds ghastly and extremely unprofessional. I would imagine she is dumping her own pressure on you and you are NOT a punch bag!

    In polite terms, tell her to swivel on it and find a challenge somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Minx. Your comment has helped me make up my mind – I can't be doing with this stress. The woman is just awful. I just want to tell her and get it over with and find an alternative source of work...

    ReplyDelete