Wednesday 6 February 2008

Goodbye Grange Hill


Admittedly, I didn't know Grange Hill was still on television (long gone are the days when I have time to watch TV so early in the day), but it is to be axed this year, 30 years after it began.

They're replacing it with 'the Grange' and aiming it at those aged 10-11, basing it in a multimedia environment. It's a shame that it has to change but the Beeb has shifted its editorial policy and that's that.

It was an engaging programme, groundbreaking at the time. It was gritty (though those who can remember 'Just Say No' may laugh with me about just how gritty it was compared to life today). But it did raise issues that needed to be aired and good on it for so doing. I can't say I'll miss it, as I don't exactly watch it now. But 30 years? That's a hell of a good run.

2 comments:

  1. Change is genuinely the only constant, isn't it. It was a good show - as you say, very gritty, though I only ever watched a few episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know it was still running! i remember vividly coming home from school, many years ago!, and watching it - the theme tune is still in my head x

    ReplyDelete