Tuesday 26 February 2008

Juno what I mean?

Oh dear. I am possibly among a minority because I didn't love Juno. It was OK but that was that... it was watchable and I thought some of the characters were well drawn (the mother, father, friend and boyfriend). But I didn't leave the cinema thinking 'wow'. I could see why the film would appeal to some, but, erm, I couldn't see why all the hype was deserved – maybe it was just hype after all.

I think Ellen Page played her (annoying) part well. But I felt that her character's endless smart-arse dialogue was overdone on a grand scale. It was trying so hard to be cool and hip that some good lines, in my opinion, were smothered. There were points when I wanted to shake Juno for going on and on and on and on in that manner of hers. I liked her a bit more once she realised the husband in the adoptive couple was a sleaze, but the smarty-pants comments... Her saying she wanted to "procure" an abortion while on her 'cute' hamburger phone just didn't do it for me. It was all far too obvious and try-hard. A bit of subtlety would have helped at points. The constant ramming down the throat of the 'Ooh, she is so young/but yet she is a woman' paradox choked the life out of the film, I thought.

As I say, it was OK. Just.

But I won't be procuring the DVD. H
onest to blog. Silencio!

*scream*

4 comments:

  1. hey mell, i haven't seen it yet, but i fear i might have a similar reaction to you when i do get round to it... when films are this hyped they often disappoint! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I saw it recently, and thought it would be much better. I felt as though they were trying hard to make teen pregnancy seem OK, and hype. I fell in love with the last scene though...that song stuck in my head. I know the lyrics really don't make sense but its a cute song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey NMJ, I'd be interested to know what you think if you do see it. The more I reflect on it, the less I like it! Seems more and more contrived. I hated the opening scene. Ugh. Downhill from there, I guess...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amenah, I've heard that some people object to the anti-abortion message of the film. I don't know whether that was the case (and I certainly didn't watch the film with any opinion on all of that in mind)...

    But pregnancy seemed to be no big deal to Juno. It was just something that happens and then life goes on, fine and dandy. Something about it just didn't ring true.

    ReplyDelete