Monday 4 February 2008

Let them eat cake?

How can Selfridges justify charging £3.95 for a slice of cake*? They must just buy cake, probably from some cheap-as-chips supplier (judging by the taste), cut it into 20 pieces, and make an easy profit of about £70. Madness.

If the cake was orgasmic, then fine – I would happily pay £3.95 for a bit of cake that made me tingle. But this one was not moist enough (I expect my fork to slide through it with no effort), it had no cream with it to help make it edible. It was a total rip-off. My cake was chocolate and was horrible – I don't often find chocolate cake inedible. S had a sponge, which didn't even have a layer of real cream in it.

We sent them back and had them replaced with the same again. Yuk.

* I realise the choice to buy said cake is mine. But I didn't look at the price until I was at the till and it had been rung through. I didn't expect a small slice of cake to cost nearly four quid.

2 comments:

  1. Hello MD,

    Well, you can't have your cake and eat it - not even for £3.95 a slice! My step sister sends me banana bread in the post, so I'm fortunate enough to have my cake needs taken care of. Glad you liked Ainsley's sausages, though. Enjoy your week, mate.

    M & G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banana bread is gorgeous, M & G. I used to make it all the time (well, not all the time but fairly frequently...)

    ReplyDelete