Friday 8 February 2008

I don't believe it

I can't believe that the Archbishop of Canterbury thinks that the adoption of Sharia law in the UK is 'unavoidable'.

Religion doesn't do anything for me – I find it divisive and I abhor human beings hijacking what could be something good, what is sold as something positive, for their own ends. The things done in the name of religion are inhuman and amoral, too often.

I would, however, never dream of stopping people practicing what they believe. This is a free country. When I was a child and someone said something objectionable to another, they'd say: "Well, this is a free country".

Hmm.

I'm not an atheist. I have my own beliefs. I don't need to ram them down anyone else's throats. But I do not – not, under any circumstances – want to be governed by the laws of any religion, thank you very much. Maybe any new laws wouldn't affect me directly, as I wouldn't subscribe to any religion involved – but surely applying different standards in cases of tax, marriage and divorce will lead to inequities among people who live down the same street?

My main problem is: where do we stop? If I start a religion, may I invoke my own laws? How the hell can people living by different laws in one country (yes, even 'aspects' of religious law) contribute to cohesion? How can it help integration? Is it not the opposite?

It's interesting that nearly 11,000 people have responded to the BBC website's Have Your Say on the Archbishop's comments. Judging by the mood, I guarantee there will be riots like never before if people in the UK have any aspects of religious law imposed here.

2 comments:

  1. Another of these deeply contentious issues. It never ceases to amaze me how divisive religion is. And it is distressing to realise that the fundamental spirituality that lies beneath every religion is exactly the same for everyone - and yet religion itself and religious dogma makes us lose sight of that. The minute anything becomes an organisation it develops a bias and is filled with its own agendas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ironic, Vanilla, and distressing. You're right – far too many agendas – makes for a mess.

    ReplyDelete