Sunday 30 September 2007

Green dress, aching head

I've succumbed to some sort of virus thing. My head feels as though it's got some kind of balloon inside that expands and causes awful pressure that blocks my ears and gives me heavy, dragging headaches above my eyes.

Trouble is, as a self-employed person, illness is not an option. But having to work when ill means that your working days are very long as you struggle to do things that would take you half the time normally, and you don't rest. Somehow (and this has happened to me several times), the weekend, or a holiday arrives and you are laid low. I spent most of yesterday on the sofa.

* * * * *

Googlers have been searching for pictures of Cecily Tallis's green dress in Atonement. I know because a couple of them have come here.

Here it is again, on the very slim Keira. It is a backless creation and is lovely. There doesn't seem to be much information about the dress out there. But The Dress, it seems, has become a star in its own right.

3 comments:

  1. Hello MD,

    So sorry to hear you have a virus. Until quite recently I was a freelance and never managed to work out what you're supposed to do when you're ill. Carry on regardless I guess. Those income protection policies sure 'aint the answer. They only kick in after three months. Just long enough to see you evicted and bankrupt!

    Get well soon, friend.

    M & G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, M & G.

    It's weird being freelance – people think you have all this time at your disposal, they believe you sit there watching daytime telly (now, who in their right mind would do that?!) and conveniently forget that you get no sick pay, holiday pay, bank holidays, pension, NI contributions and so on... But you work far, far harder (I find) because you have to.

    And, yes, those income protection things... I almost took one out but the IFA was so lax that it didn't happen. I think I've saved myself enough to have a holiday in Barbados thanks to not signing up. Ah, if only I had the time, M & G, if only!

    Hope life's happy and hale in M & G land. Love that pic you posted recently. I wonder if he put any factor 50 on his meat and two veg?!

    MD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny about the dress, I just saw that movie last night as was thinking, my that's lovely. Too bad it will only look good on a stick (I have curves).

    ReplyDelete