Friday 7 September 2007

I give up

A 'good' friend who:

a) is always too broke to meet me (but regularly goes out to get hammered)
b) is nearly always hungover (and thus was zonked when we last met – for the first time in ages)
c) has never showed me her new flat (but tells me how she's had other people there)
d) texts me at 2.30am (despite knowing I have a sleep problem) – and got frosty when I mentioned it politely – and didn't apologise – but did it again...
e) knows about my sleep horrors but never really asks about my state of mind/body
f) has made trite comments about 'everyone needing therapy' (I saw a therapist as part of the sleep programme)
g) never remembers that I travelled halfway across town to see her for years (when broke)
h) hasn't called me in months
i) didn't put a stamp on my birthday card – I had to pay to receive it when I picked it up today (my birthday was months ago)...

... has just asked me – via email – why I have been 'cold' over the past few months. Give me a break. I've felt like bloody death warmed up, that's why. Why didn't you pick up the phone and ask?

Sometimes, I really just give up. I give up. I give up. I've been happy to accommodate her choice of meeting places, bought her gifts to cheer her up, employed her, listened to stories of drunkenness and brokeness (over the cheapest ginger ale) while being as tired as fuck... So tired I could die. So fucking tired I've nearly crashed my car on a fast road.

I give up. I really do. I am lost for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment