Sunday 13 May 2007

Pastoral sympathy

Valley, Polesden Lacey, Surrey © Mellifluous Dark, all rights reserved

Polesden Lacey – an Edwardian stately home where King George VI and the Queen Mother honeymooned – and its grounds (the North Downs) provide balm for the soul. It is an ideal setting to spend a long afternoon when you feel full or health, or are full of tiredness, as I was/am.

S and I walked around the grounds for so long that we missed the last entry time for the house. But it didn't matter too much as we'd visited the house once before and I could recall that it is opulent and filled with gorgeous artifacts, as are most National Trust properties.


There was wisteria hanging from the house, which is immediately surrounded by beautifully manicured gardens. I stared at the wisteria greedily, wishing this season of lilac-blue flowers and twisted grey-silver branches could be endless. But, if that were the case, my beloved autumn and the colours and shiny conkers and chestnuts over which I lust yearly would never arrive.

The wind – which had an edge of warmth rather than ear-chill – made the long grass undulate like shiny waves, and at certain angles, the buttercups dominated the fresh, green grass while brave baby rabbits popped out of their warrens to feed.



Pathway, Polesden Lacey, Surrey © Mellifluous Dark, all rights reserved

This shady pathway was one of several that led from the house to the valley. It brought back images from fairytales I read as a child. As you walked, small creatures scuttled, not as afraid of the human species as you might expect. It was quiet but you knew – and felt – that the place was teeming with life.


Cow scratching her face, near Polesden Lacey, Surrey © Mellifluous Dark, all rights reserved

This large, nut-brown creature with luscious eyelashes (she was the only one of her herd with a clean-ish tail, too) came over to investigate as we leaned on the barbed wire fence, eager to see as much of these gentle animals as possible. She gazed at us unblinkingly, walked over to the tree and had what looked like a thoroughly good scratch.

I badly, badly, badly wanted to sleep on the drive back home (S drove). But I couldn't, obviously. I managed to avoid lying down and napping when we got home, as per sleep guru P's instructions – or, should I say 'orders' – and fell into bed at 11.30pm. I slept fairly well but had to wake and get up early, as per P's orders. I hope I get used to this process. It's tough. I am, often, running on empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment