Friday 4 May 2007

Better set my alarm, eh?

The first thing about my new CBT sleep regime is that I must go to bed and get up at the same time everyday, be it a weekday, weekend or a precious Bank Holiday, such as the one on Monday. (Well, Bank Holidays aren't highly regarded by us self-employed types as we aren't paid a penny for the privilege but still, they provide an excuse to have a lie-in.) So, I must get up at 7am. Every. Single. Day.

Thing is, I have worked very hard this week (okay... so no change there). But not only have I started the CBT course to help me sort out my sleep but I've begun working on a new magazine. That alone is pretty intense but add the long commute, an AWOL editor and my dedication to kung fu lessons... and, well, I can safely say that tonight I'm bloody shattered.
My neck is so tense that it made a loud cracking noise in a meeting this afternoon when I turned to look at someone. That attracted some interesting looks from my colleagues, I can tell you.

'Go to bed!" my body screams.

'Stay awake till at least midnight!' yells back the crib sheet from my lovely CBT lady, P.

Now, P is very strict. She's the velvety equivalent of my steely (but excellent) kung fu teacher, N, who was in a fearsome mood last lesson. I thought I'd pass out during the warm up. At the end, we were told: 'Do 20 sit ups. Right, now another 30, then 10, then another five...' I almost felt sorry for him having to face people who flailed and failed repetitively. Aaagh, it makes me cringe when I think about it too much.

I think N thinks I'm a bit of a plank after the last session. I can do new combinations of moves when I copy someone but seem to have temporarily lost the ability to retain the information and carry them out independently. I was deeply embarrassed. Never mind. I am a stubborn ox of a person. I shall persist. After all, I can spend the extra time I gain by waking at *cough* 7am practising my moves...

1 comment:

  1. Now listen, MD
    Kung Fu will get better. It takes time you know. Don't be in such a rush.
    x

    ReplyDelete