Tuesday 10 June 2008

Memory Lane

I'm shocked at how horrendous my insomnia has been over the past 18 months. I've been reading my blog entries since I began in January 2007 and, this time last year, I can honestly say – without exaggerating – that I was in hell.

How the hell I survived it, I don't know. I'm possibly more determined than I thought I was. As summer came and went last year, I went from madness to sanity and am now drug-free and getting my sleeping patterns back on track.

I sleep fairly well, most nights. But I have to be careful. I've been drug-free (that's benzodiazepenes, my friend) for a month now, following my rapid end-to-the-withdrawal due to a very dodgy prawn curry at the local Thai place. I mean, there was no point taking tablets that would only be in the sewer an hour later. It hastened things. I'm not sorry about that.

Anyway, several themes are clear to me:

• I need to exercise to rid myself of stress
• I can't drink very much alcohol
• I must handle stress well – dealing with things quickly is a must (where possible)
• some of my friends are angels
• S has the patience of a saint, though he would disagree

----------------
Listening to: Editors - The Racing Rats

4 comments:

  1. It sounds as if things are improving. That is good. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Strugglingwriter – I dare to say things are improving. Long may it continue...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Beth. I am sorry that you, too, have suffered the wretched thing.

    ReplyDelete