Wednesday 2 January 2008

Pause for thought

A woman I worked with many years ago recently got back in touch with me. She is now married and has a child, a little girl. She posted some photos on email; I commented on her daughter's bright, sparkly eyes.

My friend then shocked me by telling me that her child is in fact blind – she lost her sight at the age of two months, when a routine operation went wrong and she was starved of oxygen. Apparently, the girl's sense of hearing is so acute that people often fail to notice that she is blind, let alone the other disabilities she has. More than anything, my friend says she would choose to restore her daughter's sight so that she could see the looks in her parents' eyes as they look at her.

I know it isn't helpful but I can't help thinking: a routine operation went wrong... why? How can such things happen? How can my friend bear it? (Well, I know she obviously adores her child and that such love is quite rightly and naturally unconditional.) But knowing that someone made a mistake and robbed those eyes of vision? Horrendous.

Life is a mystery.

11 comments:

  1. That is a sad story, especially that a child will never experience the world in the way that it was intended. However, they seem to have dealt with this setback as well as they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really sad.Don't know how people can commit such careless mistakes that leave scars forever.Hope the little girl makes it big like Hellen Keller someday,when something is taken away,God will surely give back more in return.

    Happy New Year to you too dear.Hope you accepted the award at my place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad story, surely, but an amazing one as well. I love that your friend has moved beyond (just) anger and feeling victimized (though, I am sure, that feeling never completely goes away.)

    Perhaps the "bright and sparkly" you noticed came from the little girls eyes indeed, but in a much different way than we are accustomed to.

    Happy New Year to you, Ms. Mellifluous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the little girl is blessed with two very loving and devoted parents. They say she winds them round her little finger. My friend is very upbeat and warm despite everything.

    Sameera, thank you very much for your award – it has pride of place now – you are very kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome dear and really sweet of you to put it up so promptly :)

    Take care.Have a wonderful year ahead!God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. MD,

    Just a quick note to thank you for being the sole visitor to my blog over the festive period, which I would sum up thus:

    food + telly + pressies = good

    chest infection + coughing = bad

    M & G

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, some of our posts crossed...

    Sir Witnessing, yes, it is pretty amazing that they don't demonstrate any of the anger that I think would be hard to deal with, let alone escape.

    The little girl looks so happy in the pictures. When I read this morning that she is blind, I cried. It was so unexpected. That probably sounds a bit silly but it was a shock – such a happy little face, and such soulful eyes, despite pain (she has had major operations on her hip joints, too). But yet, she smiles... Quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sameera, same to you, happy lady. Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry – posts are arriving in my inbox thingy late again. Weird...

    M & G, I hope you are feeling much better now – this chesty lergy seems to be pretty persistent, eh?

    Hope your list of goods grows this year.

    MD

    ReplyDelete
  10. HIii !!!A very Happy New Yearr!!
    :) :) :)

    Lifes sure a mystery...so many misfortunes..so much pain...still there is a smile, with a feeling of hope..hope that everything will be alright..hope...that pulls people through all kinds of situations...

    Have a nice day :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Preetha, and a very happy new year to you, too.

    What you say is true – hope is an amazing tool.

    Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete