Thursday 17 January 2008

Paris plus S

S is in Paris. It is quiet without him. The familiar turn of the key in the lock, his footsteps coming up the stairs to my study, and our happy hello, before he ruffles the rabbit M's head is a routine when I am working at home. I keep thinking S is in the living room and then I remember that he isn't here. A friend popped in earlier and I commented how strange, that I had once lived alone for seven years or so, and how I then relished my aloneness and, yes, I liked it very much, thanks. But things, they change. Life's funny.

He went earlier this evening, though I did not see him leave from shiny new St Pancras, as he went straight from work. I was invited to go with him (to see family who are staying in Paris for a while) but at first, money problems made this impossible for me (S offered to pay but I said no, and I can be very stubborn), and then work piled in and there are the practicalities of not being able to lift much at the moment thanks to my cracked/bruised ribs.

So, S is in Paris, the wonderful city of light and romance. We went there two months into knowing each other. I went there last year to visit my friend, Inz, and to have a break from my sleepless London bed. S was unable to come with me due to work madness. The air was fresh and cold. The oxygen and the delicious cityness of the place seeped into my being, waking me in a good way, giving me energy. S is there now. I am there, too, if only in my mind. It's not quite enough but it will have to do for now.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm.Missing ha?

    So nice that at least in the mind you can be with the one you love.

    Hope you too get to go there soon dear.Take care,have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time alone, enjoy missing S. I find missing your beloved can be an enjoyable thing as well.

    Be well. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sameera, thank you... :)

    I have been looking up hotels on the internet. I'd like to go back there with S, maybe in April.

    He has been sending me pictures on his mobile phone. Makes me smile.

    Take care and have a lovely weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, hello there, lovely to see you here.

    It's funny, I was just thinking – in fact, saying out loud to the rabbit, M – that it was probably good for people who love each other to be apart for a while and to miss one another. Just a little while though...

    I like hearing about what he has been up to; it's as though he is on a mini-adventure Out There. I know he will have funny stories to tell me, so it's all good.

    Wishing you a lovely weekend, too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "that it was probably good for people who love each other to be apart for a while and to miss one another. Just a little while though..."

    there may be something to that. I hope you are able to relax, sleep, and do things you want to do.

    hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Strugglingwriter.

    I've just been to the cinema to see a film with a friend, which was good. Back home with a nice bottle of organic ale and a hot risotto. And have just spoken to S and heard tales of Paris and the Eiffel Tower (though it is raining there). He's enjoying himself but tells me to go over. I wish I could but my workload means I will be working tomorrow. Ah, well. Self-employment can mean you need to work weekends and evenings, I guess. Time is flying by at an insane rate...

    M, the rabbit, is following me around. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete