Sunday 13 January 2008

Doctor's orders

Darn. I am not allowed to exercise for at least two weeks. The sucker punch I took to the ribs has, thankfully, not caused a fracture, but has caused muscle and tissue damage and what is known as a 'bruised rib', which can take a while to heal (relatively speaking) due to the ribcage moving constantly. I love kung fu; it helps me to sleep and sends me on an endorphin high. (I may re-think the sparring though.)

I slept for less than two hours last night as the pain was so great when I moved around. I cried with frustration. If there is one thing I cannot bear, it is sleeplessness that goes on for longer than one night.

Anyway, S took me to the local hospital A&E department this morning, where I was given some strong painkillers. We both fell asleep when we got back home (S was tired from having stayed up late). I felt like I was on another planet when I woke up. The packet says that the tablets 'cause drowsiness'. This is no bad thing.

5 comments:

  1. MD,

    Sorry to hear about the rib - ouch! The music vids are YouTube embeds, so not sure why you can't see 'em. Anyway they were:

    3. Simple Minds - Kick It In

    2. Madonna - Dear Jessie

    1. Cliff - Millennium Prayer

    You may think that everything Cliff has performed is tripe and you'd be right. Almost. Listen to 'Miss You Nights' (it'll be on the web somewhere)- it is genuinely moving.

    Get well soon, MD.

    M & G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear!Take good care.Hope it heals soon and you get back to your classes at the earliest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you my dear. Fingers crossed it won't take too long to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. M & G

    Sorry, I thought I had replied to your comment but I had obviousky just penned it in my head!

    Thanks for the clarification re the songs. I once worked at a concert venue and endured Cliffy for – get this – 17 nights in a row. I liked him at the end. This is how brainwashing works!!

    I know exactly what you mean about Dear Jessie. Hmm.

    Thanks for your rib wishes, too. I am eating tablets that contain opiates but they make me sleepy... (quite good for an insomniac, not so good for a self-employed writer!).

    MD

    ReplyDelete
  5. M & G - sorry for the typos... time for me to go to bed I reckon.

    ReplyDelete