Thursday 10 January 2008

'It's only cos he fancies you'

I'm not best pleased. A bloke who we shall call Envielous made a silly joke, number 344 in a series of 2,902 in all likelihood. But the joke was not funny. Ergo, it was not a joke.

I have been given a couple of pieces of work by Henry, someone
Envielous and I both know. Envielous asked me a perfunctory question about the work and then said: "Henry likes you. He does." I was puzzled at the way he coupled this with a stupid, cheesy grin. Like? What has like got to do with this? I do a damn good job. End of.

Shocked, I said: "Envielous, that's not very nice. Henry does not like me like that. He likes me, yes, but as a colleague. I've worked with him before and he likes the way I work, that's all. He's hands-off, I like being autonomous, so it's fine."

Cue silly expression from
Envielous (a sort of grimace and smile, but essentially, jealousy)...

"Henry's always surrounded by women. He works with lots of women."

"So do you."

"Yeah (ha ha), and I know how men think.
And when Stuart walks past your desk, he says hello. He always says hello."

Ooooh, he says 'hello'. How raunchy. Hmm, yes, he is polite because we have worked together a lot, idiot. Not because he wants to jump my bones.


How dare he paint me as some kind of tart who is given work just because I am female? What's he saying – that we have orgies in the stationery cupboard to judge suitability for employment? That the only way I could possibly have been given the work was because someone fancies me? Oh, please. Maybe it was meant as a joke but I find it hurtful and silly.

Hmm.

Not. Happy.

* * *

And I didn't sleep well last night. Three hours at the most. Grrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment