Sunday 31 August 2008

Domestic therapy


When I was younger, I baked regularly. From about the age of eight, I blended cake mixture (and licked the spoon and scraped the bowl), pounded pastry for delicious fruit pies, rolled out biscuits and generally did kitchen-esque things that would make Delia proud.

The art of making food – the textures, aromas, anticipation, salivation – have always been therapy from the stressors that have bothered me. I felt warm and safe in the kitchen, where I had my own corner of the counter as my mum went about making a Sunday roast. (I was tidy, showing early signs of Monica-from-Friends tendencies that have stayed with me, but it was a useful trait when dealing with flour and eggs...)

I especially enjoyed serving my creations to my family and friends. In fact, when I was in my twenties, I used to bake banana bread every Sunday for my colleagues. There was never much left by Monday lunchtime. Sometimes, I'd have a slice myself.

So, this afternoon, following a week where I felt churned up and deeply upset for a variety of rather heavy reasons, I Googled for a recipe for scones (as I knew I'd already have the necessary ingredients) and
voilĂ ...



The scones tasted good. Even if I do say so myself. And my headache disappeared as the smell of baking emanated from the oven. I can see myself spending a good few hours in the kitchen as autumn (lovely autumn!) approaches.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!If they look so good,I wonder how good they must taste :P

    Culinary therapy is really something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. I've had a bit of a craving for scones recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a very simple but tasty recipe – let me know if you want a copy...

    Takes 30 mins in all from start to eating – mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too find cooking therapudic (but baking for me is just a little to labour intensive and messy). I find there is an intimacy or giving of yourself by preparing a meal and sharing it with friends/loved ones.

    The scones do look yummy, hmmm I've got some flour and butter kicking around somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Chris. And I think there is definitely something in it when people say they have cooked something "with love"...

    ReplyDelete