Tuesday 2 September 2008

Scones and tea?


For scone fans, this is the recipe I used, courtesy of the BBC Food website (see below). Excuse gratuitous repeat of close up of scones with butter and jam. I had no clotted cream, unfortunately, but they were still tasty.

Ingredients
225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
55g/2oz butter
25g/1oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk

Method
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
6. Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter and good jam and maybe some clotted cream.

6 comments:

  1. I used to use this recipe too - then got converted to Italian OO flour by Nigella, so use that plus baking powder. So light it makes you feel you aren't actually having any carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Signs. These scones were beautifully light but if Nigella's flour makes them lighter yet, I'll definitely give them a try.

    Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. I may attempt to make some myself at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having a bit of a good spell, Mellif - saying that usually jinxes it but I continue to live dangerously. I might even risk a scone or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear it, Signs. I hope the good spell continues.

    Yes, do bake some scones. The smell of baking is so therapeutic and the eating is just as good. (I'm determined to get everyone eating scones, it seems.)

    ReplyDelete