Wednesday 3 September 2008

Passion

In my profile section on this here very blog, I talk about not being keen on people who display apathy as a trait. I love people who have passion, whether that is for cars, justice, kung fu, cricket, writing, work, chess, food, or recreating medieval battles in a field somewhere that no one has heard of.

Having something that you feel brings you vigour and sparks your endorphins is the stuff of life. It gives focus and breeds energy and a zest for the subject that makes the brain work – and gives it the capacity to grow and retain the sponge-like qualities that enable it to keep the synapses firing.

People who love what they do for a living are truly living a blessed life. Or are they simply getting their arses into gear? I am amazed I do not meet more people who say that their jobs give them pleasure and turn them on. How anyone can stay in a job – long-term – where they are unhappy, is anathema to me. Isn't life more precious than that? I understand that work equals money equals numerous things despite boredom/torpor/brain death... as it pays the bills and all that. (Believe me, I know...)

But to be resigned to be stuck in a dead-end job is, I think, a crime against one's intelligence and humanity. It turns you into a robot. I know that needs must but if apathy reigns, needs must be changed.

Passion. Passion. Passion. The word was batted to me once (and again and again) by an interviewee who talked with such passion that I decided that my life had to change. I was drunk on her words, on her way of thinking... I got back to my office after the interview and there, the seeds of my escape from stagnancy were sown as I wrote the article. That was seven years ago.

Since then, I've gravitated to people who have the p-word as a trait. They are always interesting, always on fire. Here's to people with passion: long may you live.

4 comments:

  1. I think some people view passion as dangerous! Some people stay in the same dull job for ages because security and safety are more important than happiness. Each to his own, I suppose, we each walk different journeys, but yeah, I'm with you on PASSION! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Passion is my life. In fact, what is life without it? A grey wheel of habits spinning oddly on.” ~Nanny McPhee (2006)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very true, Vanilla. I don't understand how anyone can live like that. I'd be tearing my hair out! The reason I went freelance was to escape drudgery but having said that, I am currently in a very quiet period where my 'work'/passion is to look for more work (that I am passionate about, with a bit of luck!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nanny McPhee's words are very wise, Beth. Life's blah without the p-word.

    ReplyDelete