Tuesday 5 August 2008

Praise be

One year and four months into my kung fu career, I've earned some praise.

N said I looked as though I was, for the first time, actually hitting the pad. He said he thought I had something going on in my eyes for once. It's true. I felt it. It was deeply satisfying. He said 'good' and 'that's it'. And I felt, for a while, as though I was in the zone. N doesn't praise often, and when he does, it means a lot, makes the initial tears and frustration worthwhile.

I was annoyed at a variety of things at the time (which helps) but managed to transfer the emotion from my head to my muscles. It's not easy. But it can be done. There are certain things in my life that anger me so deeply that I have no words to express them. Maybe my body will show me the way.

----------------
Listening to:
Portishead - Hunter

4 comments:

  1. That kind of praise can be very empowering - and well done to you for learning how to channel emotions out through your body - that can only be constructive engagement with powerful feelings, and provide a terrific release!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanilla... it was extremely empowering though I am always a bit reluctant to admit any improvements... I kind of mumbled thanks but it made me feel great.

    It is good to have an outlet where I can channel emotions that have probably played havoc with sleep etc. It does provide a great release. I have been far too used to storing up frustration/anger – and suffering the consequences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand how much those words of appreciation must have meant to you :)

    Let your body release all that pent up anger.Take care.

    ReplyDelete