Sunday 3 August 2008

The Dark Knight wins


Absolutely fucking superb.

I expected to see an average film but was stunned by this one, which managed to reel me in for more than two hours. Most played their parts beautifully. It was exhilarating and somehow not over the top. It was dark, psychological and quite unexpected. I'm glad I went in with a neutral head on. I can't believe it was a 12-certificate, though.

And Heath Ledger deserves the plaudits. He does. For one so young, he digs deep – goodness knows what he might have become. The hospital scenes reminded me of Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Ledger is terrifying on screen. You can see why he went a bit mad – he was method acting the part of The Joker and lost the ability to sleep along the way, apparently. His ex, Michelle Williams, said he had had trouble sleeping for as long as she'd known him: "His mind was turning, turning, turning, always turning." And on the set of his last film, he was saying: "Dammit – I can't sleep", while taking pills to help him. It's heartbreaking.

But – The Dark Knight – what an incredible swansong.

13 comments:

  1. Have been hearing loads of good reviews about it.Need to see it.Hope you better now dear.

    Happy Friendship Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sameera :) Happy Friendship Day to you.

    Go and see the film! Tell us what you think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to see this and I've heard Heath Ledger's role was superb. I love the Batman movies and when actors play their parts with depth - oh oh oh.

    As you say, he was a brilliant actor, he grew with every film he made, what might he have become.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Vanilla, do go and see it. I can't believe Heath was only 28 – he has the breadth of someone much older (IMO).

    I remember him in A Knight's Tale, thinking he was different (and not just because he was handsome).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beth,
    I thought about not putting the expletive into my description of The Dark Knight but couldn't find an alternative that quite summed up how impressed I was!
    Glad you enjoyed the film :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this review. The photo, your expletive and your summary have persuaded me not to bother seeing this film. You have made it sound adolescent, fashionable and trashy, which it perhaps isn't but still, I won't take the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, thanks for your comment.

    I'm glad you won't be going to see the film. Do stick to something 'mature' – with subtitles perhaps. Much more up your street by the sound of you. God forbid that one could like a film for being entertaining. Lighten up.

    Toodle-pip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, why so serious?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw it yesterday.Just have one word - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm often wary of saying too much in a film's favour but I was so surprised to like this one so much that it had to go in the blog.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. I put up my views about it on my blog too,could not resist it! :)

    ReplyDelete