Thursday 21 August 2008

Erm, how old? (part three)

Heavens. I was asked for my ID again when trying to buy two bottle of Argentinian white wine. (This is the third time in six weeks; I was quizzed while buying Superglue at the weekend and had the wine situation a few weeks before that.)

I smiled as some of my cards fell out from my purse on to the floor. I didn't have anything with ID on it. The man looked closely at my eyes and smiled back with embarrassment. I said that this situation had happened previously and that it was very kind but I am 39, not 19. He smiled some more, almost shy. The queue built behind me. I think the people behind me thought my card had been refused or something as they shifted impatiently.

Eventually, he scanned the two bottles. I thanked him as he carried on looking at me as though I had just done cartwheels while swallowing fire and chuckled to myself as I walked back to my car.

6 comments:

  1. Excuse me if I told you this on one of your previous age posts.

    A few months ago I was asked for ID in a pub. I look aghast and told the woman I was 33. She misheard and said "You're looking great for 43. I hope I look that good at your age". So I'd gone from 17 to 43 in a minute. She was more embarrassed when I clarified I was 33 and the whole ID issue was dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!Dear,could you please share your secret with me? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sanddancer, that is funny (and no, you hadn't mentioned it previously). Gosh, I bet she was embarrassed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sameera, erm, I wish I knew... Maybe drink the odd glass of cava and do kung fu?! It's bizarre, makes me laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might be irritating but it's sure good for the ego! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vanilla, it certainly is :) especially when it happens after a poor night's sleep...

    ReplyDelete