Thursday 24 July 2008

Softness

My beautiful rabbit, M, doesn't like being picked up. Her instinct is to struggle madly, so if she needs to be carried, it's wise to wear long sleeves and be firm (but not too firm – she needs to feel secure, not scared). In the wild, rabbits are only ever picked up by swooping birds of prey or foxes and things.

It's my problem that she looks permanently in need of being picked up and hugged close. It's her brown eyes set into the smoothest, softest, velvety fur. They shine: a little feary, a little teary, and often, full of affection. She wouldn't thank me for holding her to me, so instead I just watch her as she watches me, until work takes over again. She must think I am crazy, tapping into the white plastic thing for hours, my eyes fixed on the box that has patterns and lights on it for what must seem an age to her...

PS: I am currently working at home. I don't drag M across London to an office...

3 comments:

  1. I love your rabbit posts. They always make me want one more and I completely understand the desire to hug them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can highly recommend them. They are the sweetest pets. They are almost cat-like in some ways, but so much more gentle...

    Oh, and they can be house-trained (I always like to point that out...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so adorable.Please do post a pic of her sometime :)

    Have a good weekend dear!

    ReplyDelete