Monday 14 July 2008

Couldn't buy the sausages

They should hold off the descriptions on some packs of sausages. I was at Sainsbury's today, doing a weekly-ish shop, and thought Mmm, yes, some nice bangers would be good...

I like sausages with a very high meat content (as do most people) and read packets to see if I could find any that were 90%-plus. I picked up a packet that looked promising and read that 'the pigs are given room to roam, mud baths and shelter and warm bedding to keep them comfortable in the winter'.

Guilty? I felt a bit sick as I went to look at pasta sauce. I know I am a hypocrite and of course I want animals kept well but it made me feel like an evil murderer. It was the bit about keeping them warm in winter that got to me. I didn't buy any sausages. (But yes, I know, I am a terrible hypocrite...)

4 comments:

  1. That's terrible. I know where my food comes from, but I don't need to be reminded of it just before I eat it :( I'm with you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a lot of pondering spanning over many years for the very reason,I gave up non-veg and I am happy with my decision.

    It's only a matter of choice dear.You like it,you have it.Think of the Food Chain whenever you feel guilty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strugglingwriter, I know it sounds really silly but the description was just a bit too much. Sounded like the pigs were pets... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sameera, that is very true. The food chain is a good way to get over feelings of guilt. Without it, a lot of animals would not survive – cats, for instance, must have meat to live.

    ReplyDelete