Friday 4 April 2008

I know it's a cliché...


...to go on about the weather, but it's gorgeous now. The days are warm – about 16-17 degrees, and the evenings are long – and getting longer. It's beautiful.

After last year's unending mono-season of 'springtumn', it's good to feel a new season beginning and the promise of warm days that go on for a stretch of longer than a weekend. I bought two summer dresses and a couple of skirts last year, in preparation for the sunshine, but didn't get to wear them. June, I recall was rainy and the rest of the summer was indifferent.

I'm one of those people who sometimes wakes up headachey when it's overcast (though I do like storms and rain), so sunny mornings and cool nights are simply perfect for a clear head. I guess that if low pressure can affect a barometer, it can affect the brain, too. Simple really.

My garden is crying out to be pruned back. It's wild. The clematis has clambered up the high walls and the shrubs are shadowing some smaller plants. Time for secateurs, followed by a warm bubble bath and a glass of bubbly, if my knees hold out, of course...

6 comments:

  1. It is lovely today. It has put me in such a good mood - it seems unbelievable that snow is predicted for Sunday though.

    My plans for the weekend also include a spot of gardening and we too have a unruly clematis that needs cutting back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow????? Really? How odd the weather is these days.

    Maybe the gardening will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes London is beautiful when the sun comes out and the temperatures warm up. However I was in your fair city for a whole week after Easter and woke up 3 times to snow outside my window. I was thinking to myself, it's warmer in Glasgow. But I stuck it out and was rewarded with a few sunny days before I had to head back to Scotland again. I do love London though, bad weather and all. I discovered it's always warm in the underground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The days are warm – about 16-17 degrees" Warm? You call that warm? Aaaaargh! *shiver, shiver*
    ;-)

    My garden is due for it's autumn prune - once all the autumnal stuff stops flowering!

    Hope the knees hold out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris I take it all back! It's cold today. I was even caught in a hailstorm. Apparently it is going to be onedegree tonight.

    I saw the snow at Easter – was quite pretty but didn't last long.

    And yes, the Underground is a haven when it's cold outside (if you can get a seat)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Vanilla... I spoke too soon. It was sunny today, until about 4pm, and then the temperature dropped and as I made my way home from the most central part of London, I was caught in freezing wind and a hailstorm. I've switched the heaters back on...

    The knees didn't fare too well what with me going out so the pruning will have to wait until the sun comes out and the muscles are stronger :)

    ReplyDelete