Sunday 27 April 2008

By the river of London

It was beautiful yesterday. The sun shone (but not too hotly); it was the weekend (but not full of chores) and I had a new book to read (but was not limited time-wise).

So, I went to the riverbank and sat on a bench with my new book. A large group of sixteen year olds gathered nearby to celebrate one of the party's birthday. They weren't as noisy as some teenagers could be, and seemed to have plenty of fun without acting like fools. They tidied up as they went, too. It was nice to see.

People trailed up and down the riverbank in their dozens. Rowers drifted by, children were bought ice creams and drinkers took drinks from the nearby pubs to sit on the grass and steps.

I started on my book and, after a couple of hours, S called me and came to meet me. By this time, the antibiotics I have been taking for the horrible food poisoning had really kicked in and I felt spaced out and unwell. He suggested we go home. Not quite the day out I had in mind but it was the first time I'd been out (beyond the chemist) in two weeks, and was a bit much, perhaps.

In any case, we went home and I settled in the bright room upstairs, complete with fresh fruit smoothie, sunshine, an open window and the book. Home, sweet home...

No comments:

Post a Comment