Tuesday 11 March 2008

Old maid's knee?

I have to have my knee looked at today at the knee clinic. I'm quite glad that my car is an automatic so that I don't have to use my left leg at all. Instead it just stays there, tapping gently to the music that I pour through the speakers.

People have been scaring me with various tales of knee woe. One had an operation that took 18 months to heal; another had to have their knee drained. Drained?! And a third had to give up football (OK, so that was someone telling me about Paul Gascoigne.) And there are more tales, usually involving people's mothers. I am indeed old enough to be a mother, oh yes. But still. Also, they throw the names of conditions at me – old maid's knee, housemaid's knee and so on... one person kindly called it runner's knee, which sits more easily with me.

I am desperate to get the joint better. I need to run to keep feet [eh, typo, or what? I meant 'fit']. Kung fu is keeping me fairly fit, from what I can do, but being at half power isn't enough... My capacity for doing press-ups is increasing though, so that's good.

I will have to return the recently-purchased platform heels (12.5 cm), partly because they are a bit too high, but mainly because – shame – I opened another shoe box last night and found a pair that I bought pre-knee and hadn't been able to wear (and had forgotten about). They are absolutely gorgeous. Mmm. I will have to impress on the orthopaedic doctors how vital it is that I wear these new heels. I don't wear high heels often but I would like the option. There's only so many months a year that a girl can get away with Uggs (well, the NZ version of Uggs)... And, right... anyway... I can't wear them to the office. They'd never take me seriously again.

4 comments:

  1. Hope it goes/went well at the knee clinic - tells you how many people must have knee problems if there's actually a clinic just for knees. Oh dear, my writer's imagination is starting to run away here... Best I take myself off your comment box before a story about Dr Knee happens...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a runner, and I've had many many many knee injuries, but I've found natural ways of healing it. I'm on the same boat, I had to give up my heels for a while. I found converse shoes to be very comfie...also they come in all colurs and different styles.
    Inshallah (hopefully), you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vanilla, it was OK, thanks :)

    They say one kneecap is facing inwards – probably due to a kick or other trauma. I've been compensating for a few months by putting extra pressure on the non-injured leg and that has contributed to misalignment!

    Dr Knee was a very good physio. She was reassuring and gave me plenty of advice – she says it will get better once I've strengthened certain muscle groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your advice Amenah. I may go to the shop at lunchtime and see if I can get some Converse – as you may have noticed, I love shoe shopping!

    The physio didn't ban heels (hurrah!) but said that they would be more comfortable because they shorten the calf muscle (but I need to exercise to stretch them). So, I'll try medium heels for work and then try some Converse for leisure wear.

    ReplyDelete