Sunday 30 March 2008

British Summer Time

So, it's BST again. We have 'lost' an hour and again debate the rights and wrongs of changing the time by an hour. It was sunny today and the day seemed so much longer than those of Easter weekend. It was great getting back from our day out at 8pm and it not being pitch dark. (We went boating in Oxford and walked around the town very slowly, on account of my bad legs.)

The day was fresh and springlike. Birds fed their chicks by the verges as we boated by, and there were tiny lambs grazing next to their mothers in Oxfordshire fields. I think I decided then that I would probably not eat lamb again. I obviously previously knew where lamb comes from, but I hadn't thought about it too deeply.

Anyway, this clock thing... I think we should stick to summertime and enjoy our longer evenings. The Scottish farmers – if is indeed them for who we change the time twice a year – surely have the same amount of daylight whatever the time? And it has been proven that darker evenings mean more accidents for children and motorists. So, why do we faff around with the time despite this?

1 comment:

  1. I never quite got BST - as you say, surely, irrespective of what any clock says there are always x number of hours of sunlight available.
    We're a strange lot with our ideas...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete