Tuesday 18 March 2008

Knee strike, elbow strike

Doing kung fu has caused problems with the structure of my imperfectly-structured legs. I am not built to be a top class sportswoman, apparently. (I didn't need a physio to tell me that...)

Anyway, my kneecaps are in the wrong place some of the time due to slight misalignments that may have set in when I went through a growth spurt. They now click and snap and try to get to where they should be but due to stronger muscles on one side of my legs (from kung fu training), they can't quite make it. Certain muscles have tightened up to compensate and the whole thing means my poor kneecaps are suffering. So, when I bend or crouch, everything seems to seize up. It's not pleasant. Anyway, I'll see the physio again this week – she seemed to think it can be sorted out – and I'll have stronger-than-ever legs. Bionic me.

Getting to work and back yesterday was awful. The buses were packed (I had to stand a lot), the bus drivers seem incapable of driving smoothly, train journeys were long, and I was exhausted, in pain, and ready to cry on the way home. S called and picked me up from the station, which was an absolute boon.

Oh, on the way home, I had a large idiot plonk himself on the seat next to me when there were plenty of other seats available. He dug his elbow into me, claiming his space and part of mine, and pressed up against me. I mean – what the hell is that all about? Because you are big and bulky, you think you can squash me and I am not going to do anything?! Moron.

So, I used my stronger-than-it-ever-has-been upper body, sat up really straight and dug my very strong elbows (which often perform elbow strikes at large men and thick pads) right back into his arm. Shame, he didn't like that. He whined: "Well, your coat is over the dividing line of the seat." Oh piss off, mate. Your huge body is taking up more than one seat and your elbow is in my space (my coat was not on his seat, and in any case, if it had been obstructive, he could have said 'excuse me', like a polite person).

I told him to stop poking me with his elbow, to which this 45/50-year-old said, "Well you started it." How pathetic. I was seething. He would never have behaved that way had I been a man. This is partly why I do kung fu. I was ready to belt him if he continued to assault me by pushing me hard against the window/train wall. I told him again to take his elbow out of my space and sat there, feeling thunder rising, willing him to go (apparently I do this vibe thing effectively when really riled). Maybe he felt it, too, because he shifted uncomfortably and moved within seconds. He got up and found a set of four seats all to himself.

It reminded me of a time when I was 16 and sat on the top deck of a bus. A man came upstairs and sat next to me even though there about 30 other seats free. He pushed up against me. It was gross. I got up and moved away; I was scared. But now? No way will I let some lowlife treat me like that. These people would never mess with a man that way – who the hell do they think they are?!

No comments:

Post a Comment