Monday 6 August 2007

Lovely rain

After two very hot days that have darkened and burned me, I am relieved that it is raining this morning. It is warm outside but I can breathe more easily. And I will be able to work (despite being on holiday, as much as any freelancer can have a holiday) more easily knowing the day is not glorious.

My arms ache after doing kung fu for an entire day over the weekend in the blazing sunshine. That was extremely tiring. I sat at home yesterday as the sunshine poured into the front room, trying not to fall asleep on the sofa. I nodded off a couple of times with the Eastenders omnibus on in the background – it possibly hastened my sleepiness rather than keeping me alert.

I wish, I wish, I wish that the sleep programme was over so I could have just stretched out and slept. My body so craved it that my head thumped violently all afternoon.

Later on, I met my friend, V, who has the air of Audrey Hepburn about her (her mother is Russian and she has dramatic, dark looks). We walked to a local wine bar, sat outside watching people drift by, and chatted about all sorts of things. It was an easy, gentle way to spend the latter part of the day. V gives the impression of being a perennial joker but offers some crystal clear insights on some quite dark subjects. Sometimes, we say the same things at the same time and laugh at the synchronicity.

My headache intensified as the evening wore on and by the time a very brown S got back home after a day of cricket, I was in quite a bit of pain. He stroked my head, which helped. Getting into bed and lying on fresh linen is a distant memory now. I slept well.

10 minutes later: the sun is out in its loveliness. So much for the rain. Oh well, at least I won't have to water the garden... But how will I ever get down to any work?

No comments:

Post a Comment