Friday 27 April 2007

Life is art

Images from my travels...

St Vitus rooftop, Prague © Mellifluous Dark, all rights reserved


Stream, the Lake District, Cumbria, UK © Mellifluous Dark, all rights reserved


Hallway in a Gaudi-designed building, Barcelona © Mellifluous Dark, all rights reserved


Cormorant drying its wings, Bristol Channel © Mellifluous Dark, all rights reserved


These pictures are of creations that would be credited to either 'man' or 'nature' in terms of their physical manifestation. Who is the winner? Aren't they one and the same, all part and parcel...?

How can 'man-made' be unnatural? Are humans not the ultimate creation of nature? What Antoni Gaudi does in terms of architecture (the third picture) is amazing. The silkiness and fluidity of powerfully strong walls and ceilings such as the ones pictured must surely be inspired by nature? His work was at first ridiculed, apparently... Ah, I've literally just read that Gaudi had a powerful interest in the organic shapes that exist in nature...

Gaudi was run over by a tram. He looked so dishevelled that no one rushed to his aid. He was eventually taken to a pauper's hospital and died three days later. He was buried in the church (that is still being built) pictured below, the Sagrada Familia, and was mourned by millions:


Sagrada Familia, Barcelona © Mellifluous Dark, all rights reserved

I have no idea why I am in this philosophical frame of mind. But going through some of my pictures has inspired me today. No bad thing. I've focused on things that are detrimental to me far too much lately.

One of my favourite sayings is: action is eloquence, and a friend once told me "think long and you think wrong". I'm pretty good at taking action and doing, but one can always do better. I do not want to succumb to analysis paralysis. (Fat chance!)

No comments:

Post a Comment