Sunday 7 October 2007

Fighting fit(ish) and a birthday

This week has been rather too busy. Sleep has been a friend for a few nights and a foe for the others, which hasn't helped in the light of the amount of work I've had to do lately.

I woke up yesterday with a scratchy sore throat, feeling drained and dizzy. My head is blocked this morning – I doubt I recovered from the virus thing last week. The scratchy throat thing has extended to my left ear today – you know that feeling when you have to wiggle your ear as the sensation is so deep in your eardrum? I shall ignore it. Pah.

Anyway, I am now allowed to fight. Yes. Fight! I passed my kung fu grading (though when I attended class recently I was very uncoordinated and felt about as worthy of my new belt as Britney Spears would be if she were crowned mum of the year). I was embarrassed and frustrated at my ineptness and my instructor joked that he thought me passing the test must be a mistake. I smiled but I felt bad. Maybe I should have just stayed at home and rested. But I'm not that sort of person. Even when I should be.

* * * * *

One of my dearest friends, Inz, celebrated her 40th birthday yesterday. It was a lovely gathering of people she'd collected from various times in her life. I rarely see her as she lives in France but when I do it's great. We met at a writing class in the early 90s, and clicked immediately. She is funny, lovely, caring, warm, and as cute as a button.

The music – which was courtesy of the radio – was an appropriate mixture of 70s, 80s and 90s tunes. The food, provided by Inz's mum, was delicious. It was an evening of easy reminiscing, devoid of angst, as it should be.

I got home post-curfew and walked past cars covered in condensation. Everything was that bit quieter, stiller and there was ice in the air. Autumn has definitely arrived. The ivy that was green and red is now blazing scarlet.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Mell, Well done with the kung fu! I love how you say you are now allowed to fight, I imagine you out in the streets kicking whomsoever takes your fancy. Your friend's 40th sounds fab - writing classes are a great source of friends for life. Hope you kick the virus (no pun intended)!

    (ps. I couldn't get on with Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, sorry! I found first few pages seductive, I loved Esme, but when it shifted to Iris, I felt such a lack of interest in her character - I did persevere, to halfway through the book, but the changing points of view jarred for me - I also think when references are familiar and local (Edinburgh, in this case), a book can lose impact unless the writing really carries you, which Maggie O'F's doesn't (not me, anyway). I think it's an interesting plot, and can imagine it being a good film, but I found myself forcing my way through the pages. I do feel bad for not liking it more, I skimmed to the end, but wanted to let you know my verdict anyway. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on passing our kung fu grading! Watch out world.
    And do yourself a favour, watch out for that virus, the ones doing the rounds are savage and tend to re-occur. Go gently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the passing of the kung fu grading.

    Also, the party sound nice. I'm with you on the Autumn thing. Well, actually we have the colors but the temperature is still stifling. I'm hoping for some cooler weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey NMJ, lovely to see you back again. I hope you are feeling better after your brief time away from blogland.

    I'm thrilled to have passed the grading – I have a long, long way to go yet but I have plenty of enthusiasm, so I hope to master the techniques at some point. Soon. It's funny, I've never fought before kung fu, never hit anyone. And now I pay to fight...

    As for Esme, well, I wondered what you would think, especially as the book is set in your home town. I agree about Iris – she was drawn rather coldly. Esme was the saving grace as far as I was concerned. Sorry you didn't enjoy it more, NMJ...

    Erm, have you seen Atonement yet?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mell, I did see Atonement, finally, I think I was the only person who had not yet seen it! - ach, I liked it, but didn't love it, Kiera lacked emotional depth for me. I loved Briony's character, all three incarnations, especially when she was a nurse. My favourite scene was Kiera spinning drowned in the tunnel. I liked the twist of Briony having invented the lovers meeting again, though it didn't surprise me as that whole scene (the three of them in the flat) just didn't ring true. Maybe I was just too tired to appreciate the tragedy of the whole thing. ps. Edinburgh isn't my hometown, though I have been here for ten years - but I am a west coaster at heart!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Absolute Vanilla (and Atyllah), thank you! Watch out world, oh yes. I think once I've trained for a year or so, I'll feel a lot more confident. It's early days but very enjoyable despite my ebbing and flowing levels of coordination!

    Viruses are nasty old sods, aren't they? I somehow staved off the sore throat, possibly due to a very strong desire to go out with my friend yesterday. We had a cream tea. Very nice. But yes, I shall take extra zinc and take my trusty scarf with me now (I hate being cold).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening, Strugglingwriter. Thank you muchly for your congratulations.

    The party was lovely – very relaxed and relaxing. I'm really surprised that the weather is stifling there! Goodness. When does autumn normally begin for you? Is it an Indian summer? It's fairly mild in London during the day at the moment but once the sun goes down, it really is cool. Lovely (especially in the mornings – it's so refreshing...).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey NMJ, (west-coaster – oops!)... I liked that tunnel scene, too. I went on a mission to research it and stumbled on a book (quite odd, actually) in which that sadly real bombing tale was told. I don't think Keira was great in the role, I thought she was OK. Briony's incarnations were great – all fab actors. Glad you liked it overall, though.

    Sleep well x

    ReplyDelete