Saturday 17 March 2007

Friends

The good things about today are S's patience, my eternally caring parents (even though they are abroad) and the friends who really know me (and care). Also, my rabbits make me smile, as does the spring sunshine, and the garden, in which I have spent more time today – it looks lovely now with its small seating area surrounded by patio plants. Simple but effective.

I haven't yet heard back from H, who said she would like to come to Paris with me for a short break if she can. She said she would check the situation with her husband (she has a little boy, so it may be a little tricky, logistically). My dear friend, Inz, who lives in Paris, is moving home when I'm planning on going there (if I do indeed make the trip), so she may not be around much, which is obviously understandable as she will be up to her eyes in organising her move. Bad timing on my part, really.

Another close friend, R, is now unexpectedly freelance as opposed to a well-paid staffer due to being shafted by her company, and is strapped for cash, which is fair enough. It's sad though, as she and I have shared some brilliant holidays over the years – she is great, relaxed company. LA, a kindred spirit who I first knew as a penpal, lives across the Atlantic. And my dear S can't have any holiday as April is his busiest month. Typical.

Some of my friends are the kind I meet for meals, wine (often Champagne if we feel flush) and usually a good helping of laughter in Covent Garden or Chelsea every few months; others live locally so we regularly have a chance to catch up over a cup of tea and cake. We do, literally, meet for tea and cake. Very civilised. There are also the ones who I have known since schooldays and with whom no gap of time causes any awkwardness.
Others have turned into email friends lately, now bordering on acquaintanceship. One old friend has reappeared, which is nice. I've known her since we were four and made pictures with paint handprints.

There are a couple of people
I haven't seen for a while, which is sad, and I have suggested meetings/ venues and times that might just accommodate their needs, but in the absence of much effort, or possibly will, from them, well, maybe I should now stop trying. Everyone's busy but priorities differ. And people do grow apart.

I slept better but am feeling very irritable and slightly upset today. As you may be able to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment