Thursday 15 March 2007

Call me Charlie














When it was bought at a fair in the grounds of Hampton Court, this clematis was a two-foot high plant with no flowers, a hardy stalk and, erm, well, that was that. Obviously, it had roots. Oh, and it cost £24.

A week after purchase, my parents came over one baking hot afternoon, while I was working at home, and we spent three hours digging the ground and getting rid of the masses of building rubble and awful grass that Mr Moron-Troll had left, to make it fit for planting. S thought it looked a bit plonked when he came home and saw it, surrounded as it was by bare earth, but after we'd put in some more plants and eradicated all signs of that stupid, wild 'grass', it looked like a proper garden. GFG isn't bothered by gardening, which is good as I quite like it all to myself.

I am still in awe that these things (plants, I mean) grow the way they do. How does it all work? I do have an A-level in biology and I do actually know, but still... Now, 18 months on, we have walls covered with scented white flowers and glossy leaves, and the beginnings of spring flowers are emerging at soil level. I find it exciting. I hope the snow forecast for Monday, hmm, doesn't do any damage.

I haven't slept particularly well but I'm falling asleep more quickly and when I do wake up, which I did several times last night, I go back to sleep more quickly than I used to. However, I am tired and I had a horrible headache yesterday evening, which thankfully disappeared during the night. Early days.

No comments:

Post a Comment