Thursday 21 February 2008

Shirking from home?

When I tell people I am working at home, there are two main responses. Some people tell me how they'd never have the discipline to work from home. Others say "God, you are so lucky, sitting watching TV all day".

Hmm.

Well, in response to the first lot – yes, it can be difficult to motivate oneself at times. But I am my own boss. If I work quickly, I have more free time. If I don't, bang go my weekends and evenings. Also, if I don't motivate myself, no one else will, and I risk going bankrupt. Professional pride, a strong work ethic (inherited from my parents) and a love for what I do – as well as the need to earn a living – are reasons to not spend the day on the sofa.

Yes, there are times when cleaning the bathroom is attractive, or I feel a desire to go to Sainsbury's, just for a change of scene. But on the whole, I love what I do. As for the people who think I sit in my underwear, drinking cans of Stella and eating chips while watching Jeremy Kyle (who is he?) well, no. It's not like that. My days start early, they end late. I don't have anyone around to chat to (thank God for email and phones)... So, it's tough. Often, I work nine-hour days, everyday. But it's my choice and I love it.

Sometimes, I do need to see the whites of people's eyes, though. This happened yesterday afternoon. It was late in the day, and freezing outside. But I got ready (well, I disguised my casual top with a smart woollen top) and pulled on a clean pair of jeans and boots that I can wear without upsetting my knee problem, and set off for the other side of London.

My quick stop turned into a two-hour circuit of two floors, as I caught up with some people for work, and with others for a chat. It was lovely. I could have had conversations on the phone but this was good – this was proper interaction – in a shortish dose, and it was extremely valuable. At times, people need to see you to realise that the email you sent was not sent in annoyance but was simply firm and factual. And they need to know, through all the non-verbal communication that's sacrificed in email, that you are smiling, happy and are working with them. And that it's going to be OK. I left there feeling uplifted and lucky to be working with such a fine bunch of people.

S joined me after my trip to the office. We used to go out for meals in Covent Garden, central London, when we first met. I decided we needed to do so last night, just because it had been a while since we'd been to a particular, favoured restaurant. We had a lovely evening, eating, drinking prosecco and talking. I don't know whether it was the influence of yesterday's full moon or eclipse, but I found ways to unfurl feelings and turn them into plain speak (in a positive sense). Somehow, I found words to express things that I had
previously failed to comprehend (these are things relating to my insomnia, things that are deep-rooted but are being eased out).

Last night, I slept like a dream. Bliss.

5 comments:

  1. How is it lucky to be sitting watching TV all day, in any case? Much more invigorating to be working, especially if it's something you love doing. I know you write - but what exactly I am curious to know (you are a journalist?) Understand the wish for privacy, though.

    I think it's a common feeling with writers: one must have solitude in order to do it, and then one must have connection, contact with people. Hard to get the balance right.

    Glad to hear the insomnia is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok (doh!) - you actually say you are a journalist in your profile, which I have read before.

    I am not bright today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moon always has a profound effect on emotions. And funny, it must have been the effect of the eclipse, but normally a full moon wakes me up feeling quite edgy, this time, I slept like a baby and only woke to a tremendous insight to D's work dilemma.

    And you are so spot on about working from home, what others think and the need to escape occasionally to be in the world - I relate completely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Signs, that's OK, I don't really expand on what I do on this thing. I do write for lots of people – a real mix – variety keeps it interesting.

    The insomnia isn't better, unfortunately, but it has improved. Am still on medication (albeit a much reduced dose).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Vanilla, how funny that you experienced the same thing. And hasn't the moon been bright this month? I am assuming it looks pretty much the same in SA as it does in London :) Glad you had an insight into D's work situation.

    ReplyDelete