Friday 28 November 2008

Madly driven

I was terrified today, as a friend drove me somewhere via the motorway for a day out. I probably am a bit of a control freak, possibly not helped by having had two car accidents that were not my fault, and been injured as a result (the first one, a head-on crash, gave me a broken collarbone that went undetected as the doctors were more worried I might have broken my spine – thank God it wasn't the case – but I was in a lot of pain; the second was a shunt that made me lose feeling in part of one arm and hand for ages)...

So, anyway, my friend, who I hadn't seen for a while, and I had a lovely day out but the drives to get to and from our destination were hairy. I clenched my fists, grew hot and let the sweat form on my brow and nose. I was absolutely terrified as she put her foot down and went at 80mph-plus in the fast lane all the way, leaving insufficient distance between our vehicle and the one in front should she have had to brake. At some points, she even checked her phone for texts and horrified me by making a call.

I prayed to get back home in one piece. I really did. And I told S to remind me that I must never accept a lift (with this friend) that would take me on any fast roads... She's thankfully never had an accident but I know all too well that they are often caused by events beyond one's control and it's not wise to drive so effing close to the car in front. It's stupid and while I am obviously very fond of my friend, I felt somewhat violated.

When I got home, I relished every little detail of everything at home, home, feeling drained and relieved. I'm not trying to sound melodramatic but I genuinely felt lucky to have escaped unscathed and hope my friend calms the heck down with her driving. I did broach the subject of speed with her (while we were in the car, which is a bit of a racer) but she said she was well within the national average speeds. Hmm. Hmmmmm. Not good enough.

3 comments:

  1. hey mell, don't want to badmouth your friend, but her driving is irresponsible, especially when she has a passenger - you *were* violated, you felt unsafe in her car - i hate people driving too fast x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, NMJ. I was so scared that I was pumped full of adrenaline and slept for only a couple of hours last night. I was gnashing my teeth, despite having a mouth guard in! I will never accept a lift from her again unless it's a local journey on trafficky roads!! She was like a boy racer. I find it a bit immature.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on that. If you want to drive like a maniac by yourself on an abandoned road go ahead. But if I'm your passenger who are you to take my life in your hands!

    ReplyDelete