Tuesday 25 November 2008

Spooks

Anyone here watch Spooks? It's the BBC drama based on MI5. And it is absolutely fabulous. It manages to be topical to a degree that makes me wonder when on earth they make the show – do they add scenes or dialogue in at the last minute?! It's slick and sharp, set in London, and is unfailingly gripping.

I watched the new episode that was aired on BBC3 last night and, without giving anything away, was sat there in silence as my heart thudded, skin grew clammy and my stomach swam. Sounds like flu, I know, but this was the Spooks effect. The writers are not afraid to lose characters, and this is what makes the show all the more visceral.

Hermione Norris, who plays the ruthless but razor-sharp Ros Myers, was quoted in an interview complaining about the programme's lack of budget. She said it was 'obvious', but I don't think it is. So, the sets are not all that exciting but in a backdrop of one amazing 'set' – London – it's not so bad.

Mmmm, I love it.

8 comments:

  1. hey mell, i have blogged about spooks in the past, i love it! i have missed last couple though... sometimes it gets a bit samey, baddies who might be goodies & goodies who might be baddies, i never quite know even by the end of the episode... but i do find myself on the edge of the seat when i watch, & lucas isn't bad on the eyes, either. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get it here on BBC Prime - usually a quite a bit after it's aired on the Beeb - I've only watched it a few times, it comes on very late - but the episodes I have seen where brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not heard of it but sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NMJ, I can't resist it and even though I am often confused, I stick with it and clench my fists as the tension builds. It's definitely my fave programme at the mo.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanilla, it's great stuff. Glad to hear you can get it there. What series are you watching?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sameera! It's fabulous. If you can catch it, do so. It's good old fashioned spy drama, London-style. I love it!! (as you can tell ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mell, I caught the repeat last night - Connie, a Russian mole?! Jesus, this was explored a few weeks ago & I thought she had been exonerated; it was so chilling the way she murdered poor Ben. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey NMJ, I know, I was staggered at the way she murdered him! I don't know why he stuck around with his back to the enemy though. Surely spy school must teach that that is unwise...!!

    x

    ReplyDelete