Thursday 20 December 2007

Sorrow

A good friend found out today that his mother has died.

A total shock. SS's mum, M, lived at the other end of England. Her friend couldn't get hold of M and called her son today, during the tail-end of our Christmas lunch. I'd just left but a mutual friend called me as I was on the bus and said that SS had had a call and that he'd rushed off – we live close to one another so she knew it was likely that he'd visit me and S over Christmas. We'd planned an evening of mulled wine, mince pies and games for Saturday. I'd planned to call SS tomorrow but he sent me a text message in reply to my 'please let me know how your mum is', which arrived during the surreality of my kung fu class.

The police broke the door down and found his poor mum. We had been talking about her a lot yesterday and today. He was brought up by her and has no siblings. They were due to spend Christmas together. He is driving up to his mother's place now. God...

He hasn't wanted/ been able to talk yet, and I don't feel as though I've been able to think of anything useful to say in my messages to him.

2 comments:

  1. That's very sad news. Your friend will be in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Strugglingwriter, that's very kind of you. I just spoke to my friend – he sounds as though he is keeping busy – but it's all very surreal for him at the moment. He said he feels as though she has just gone out and will come home. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete