Monday 26 February 2007

...got my back against the record machine

I know it's not cool in some corners but this song never fails to make me feel alive. I effing love it. Van Halen's Jump takes me back to being 14 and leaping off my bed, wanting to be a rock star. Dad worked at one of the world's biggest concert venues and I saw everyone who was anyone back in the 80s and early 90s, from Prince to Cliff Richard. I was (am) a lucky girl.

Smells Like Teen Spirit has an equally engaging opening riff. Kurt Cobain would have been 40 this month. I read an interview of his and Courtney Love's daughter, Frances Bean, who sounds remarkably well-adjusted, polite and extremely
intelligent. Something about Kurt and his strange, depressive's suicide note, tugs at my heartstrings in a way that Pete Doherty (even though he is still alive) never could. As S says (quoting someone whose name I can't recall), if Kurt had played five-a-side football, he'd still be alive today.

Unfinished Sympathy has special merit, as it is my favourite song of all time, and its opening, when Shara Nelson starts singing with that pure voice, sends shivers down my spine. Beautiful. Last but certainly not least...

No comments:

Post a Comment