Sunday 11 February 2007

Chelsea girls

As I left the flat to meet R, my neighbour handed me a bouquet of lovely spring flowers and a small card for not being able to make it for dinner last night. It was a nice gesture – and the card included an invitation to have drinks (on them) at the local wine bar. The male half of the couple had told me he was unwell yesterday when I went round to see what time they were coming over. I was slightly miffed, I must admit, because I felt exhausted but was determined to make an effort and not become some sort of recluse, and had already dragged myself to the supermarket to buy bags of food to cook for them. Mrs Neighbour was obviously annoyed at her husband's illness, especially as he had gone to play golf today. Still, it worked out well in the end – I had a chance to relax and S found a comedy club for us to visit later that night. We drank plenty of beer and laughed for most of the rest of the evening.

This afternoon, R and I met in Chelsea, where in the past we'd spend two hours browsing the shops before a three or four hour meal with wine or something sparkly. But this time, I was tired (and slightly dehydrated, though there is very little to distinguish the difference in sensations for me these days), and R was worried about having just bought a flat and going freelance, and was conserving her money.

It was good to see her as we hadn't been out for a while, both having been mired in our various concerns. She and I can talk easily, having developed a level of trust that includes an element of non-judgementalness that is an asset to any friendship. I took along a posh candle from a little local gift shop as a present for her. This pleased and surprised R, as candle-buying is a luxury she quite rightly won't allow herself right now. So, we sat in a café, ate cake and drank tea and various types of coffee, as three hours ticked away. R and I have spent many holidays together, so we are close. When you can get on with someone in faraway lands, and find stuff to talk about no matter what, it's a wonderful thing.

S picked me up from the station, which was most welcome. For once, I got home before R did (we now live in diagonally opposite corners of London). I then cooked the food I'd bought for the neighbours, which went down well. When R comes to stay in a few weeks, I'll cook it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment