Friday 24 July 2009

Fab 40

I celebrate my 40th birthday this coming week.

Flipping heck.

Am not really hung up on the 'Oh, I'm old' lark, being an eternal child, but I recall little things, such as thinking, at the age of six, how ancient 12-year-olds were. And when I was about 12, I thought our 23-year-old teacher was an old bag (well, she was, but that was more about her personality defects)...

So, anyway, what with the bump growing and that, my plans to have a raucous, drunken affair are now put on hold until the next big one (or a Lotto win). Instead, and I am really looking forward to this, we are having a long lunch by the river in a lovely place. People will surely marvel at just how mature and sophisticated I have become, as I sip elderflower cordial. But seriously, I don't mind about the 40 or the sobriety. I feel very blessed, for many reasons, and those reasons – all people I love (including my new unborn one) – are priceless. Spending time with them over the next few days will be the best present.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, having just celebrated my 44th on Monday I'm going through similar feelings (but without a growing bump)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (belated) Birthday to you, too, Chris. Hope you had a good one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's any consolation, life really does start at 40! (wrinkles, grey hair and creaks notwithstanding!)
    Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Melodious.

    I'm glad to hear you're not hung up about the getting older thing - a very damaging waste of energy, as far as I've ever been able to tell.

    People would be fools not to gasp at your sophistication, by the way, utter fools. Elderflower cordial takes some beating in the swanky, hip and almost recklessly chic stakes. (And sobriety, of course, is the new catastrophically drunk.)

    I hope you've had - or continue to have - a splendid birthday week. (No harm in stretching the celebrations out for as long as possible.)

    Kind regards etc.....

    TPE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks, TPE. It was a lovely week... not at all traumatic – though I have noticed I groan more loudly when getting up from my armchair...

    Best of wishes
    MD

    ReplyDelete