Saturday 4 April 2009

A day in the sun

I felt rotten – dizzy and sick – until I ventured into my back garden and potted a plant that I will be taking to the new place. The fresh air and warmth were like magic. Said plant had been suffering under the shadow of the massive clematis and was straining to reach light and was probably starved of water and suchlike. I imagine the clematis roots spread far and wide.

The sunshine on my arms felt good. I've been stuck inside for what feels like months, feeling pretty rotten. And when I am inactive I feel the cold more acutely than I would otherwise. So, it was great to get outside. Then, my neighbour popped round and gave me a present, totally unexpected, and beautifully thoughtful. When we move, I'll think of them as current friends, not old neighbours.

Later, I went for a drive and succumbed to a McDonald's (I know, I know...). I ate it overlooking the green nearby, the sun shining on me, my CD player on. Next, I went home, sat on the sofa, stuck on a CD that a friend had given me for Christmas (Sarah Slean – very good, like a female Ben Folds) and I finished the novel I was reading. S came home later, exhausted, having spent seven hours cleaning his little boat, as he's selling it. He had caught the sun and hadn't eaten all day but looked happy with his work.

It turned out to be a lovely day. Peaceful and warm. Bliss.

3 comments:

  1. Ah! Sunshine. Lucky you. It was an absolutely effing gorgeous day here ... and I was trapped in my office. Meh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waah! (wow in another laguage)
    You have taken some really good pictures.

    @beth: I move out my office with my cam if the day is this good :)

    Tarun Chandel
    http://photos.tarunchandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like sunshine to chase the proverbial gray clouds away! Sounds like a perfect day - for both of you!

    ReplyDelete