Monday 29 December 2008

RIP my sweetest friend



M died today, suddenly following a bout of gastro-intestinal stasis (GI stasis). The onset was shockingly quick. It is all surreal. Part of the reason I am blogging this is to pay tribute to a small dearly-loved friend who was a daily companion with whom I spent more time than any other living thing in the past few years. She was a present from my dear S, who has now come home early from a visit to his mum. M was his first pet and she loved him and he did her.

To have a 'wi
ld' animal sitting by you on a sofa, giving you kisses, snuggling, sitting on your feet as you work (how will I work without her with me? She saved me from loneliness many a time...), resting her paw on your hand (as she did for the first time on her last night with me) is an amazing experience borne of trust. She was clever, bright, fun, sweet, gentle, absolutely beautiful, literally softer than silk, loyal and a blessed spirit-fairy-like lapin. I loved her immensely. We both did.



The other reason for me to blog is this: if anyone is Googling GI stasis or anything along the lines of a rabbit not eating or passing waste matter, take my advice and see a vet immediately. I did as soon as it was apparent that M was unwell (she missed an evening meal and I thought she might have some in the night but she had gone into shock by morning)... her decline was extremely quick, as is the way with rabbits.

I really cannot believe it... she was bouncing around at Christmas and lying next to me on the Saturday evening. I took her to hospital Sunday morning after noting she had not touched her evening food. She died at 9.45am today.

I am suspended somewhere else in the land of 'It's a lie'. She was just three-and-a-half and had otherwise been healthy and active.

I will miss her beyond words.

10 comments:

  1. Poor wee bunny, it is so sad to lose a pet. Sorry for your loss, Mell x

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO sorry! Truly. I had a black rabbit named 'Shadow' when I was a kid. He was a great companion. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. Its never easy loosing a pet. I've gone through it 3 times with cats I've owned. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all. I am really quite stunned at how I feel.

    It helps when people understand, though, so thanks again...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came over here to wish you a happy new year so am sad to find that you have had such a bad start. I was looking longingly as a giant rabbit over Christmas and thought about you and your lovely M.

    From reading your other posts about M, I know she was very much a part of your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    Lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, SandDancer... bless you.

    Rabbits make great house pets as they are very social animals and bond strongly. M was a rex, which is a very intelligent breed. She was so sweet and clever. I miss her. If kept outside, bunnies should be kept in pairs or they get extremely lonely – the RSCPA is very anti solo buns.

    If you need any tips on buns (if you are considering one) do email me and I'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry to hear this, Mel Darko. I don't know, but can imagine how you must be feeling. I would be delolate if this had happend to my cat.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Signs... I have been really quite desolate. The place feels bare without her physical presence... I know pets die and all that but this was sudden and she was a young bun, getting to be really knowing and extremely trusting of us.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh MD, I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved pet is always so heartbreaking. Sending you big hugs.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete