Sunday 4 May 2008

Get on yer bike!

I've had a bicycle, a proper adult bike I mean, for two years. I remember buying it, all shiny, and riding it a bit. The saddle was uncomfortable and after riding it about five times, I locked it up, with S's bike. And then we lost the key.

I occasionally guiltily looked at the bike, as it gathered rust and dirt from being left outside, but I didn't have any strong desire to free it. And, anyway, it was trapped, locked by a seriously hardcore chain, until S's dad came along with a chainsaw.

Eventually, this week, I took the bike to a large bike store and had it serviced. I spent a fair bit on a helmet, lock, lights, new grips and a comfortable saddle. S sprayed some WD40 on the chains of his bicycle. We went for what must have been a seven-mile cycle ride along the riverbank today. It was warm outside – the forecast is for good weather all week – but wasn't too sunny, which is good when you get sunburned as easily as I do.

The Thames was low when we set out and was lapping over the top of the bank as we rode back (having stopped in a pub for a very tasty lunch). All in all, we were out for about four-and-a-half hours. It was a relaxed day but energising and tiring, too. My legs ache. But in a good way. I've been told to strengthen my legs, and this seems to be a good way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment